Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Unemployed aint so bad!!

So, I woke up this morning and realized... I have nowhere to be today!! I keep wondering if there will be a moment of panic where I wake up and realize that I've made a terrible mistake but so far... it aint bad.
Don't get us wrong. We really miss our friends in Pella - Seriously!! But I guess if a guy has to wake up unemployed, this isn't a bad way to do it. The day started by waking up because I was done sleeping - stark contrast to the usual "Beep, Beep, Beep" of that blasted alarm clock. I got up and wandered around the house for a while and it wasn't long and I could detect the smell coming from the kitchen... sure enough, mom was making a roast with mashed potatoes and all the good stuff. I got to tell you... this whole moving back in with the parents doesn't sound like such a bad proposition!!
I keep telling people we run into here that we are unemployed and Bambi says I should be saying "we're in between jobs right now." Not sure which one sounds worse but I think the best one is "we're on a sabatical." Sounds more official I guess.
It was raining when we got up today but around noon, the clouds broke and it really got nice here this afternoon. We had to wait a while because you all know, Bambi won't ride her bike when the roads are wet. So finally around 4pm all conditions were go and we got clearance for our bike ride. Bambi rode with me as far as Hatfield and then turned around. She reminded me that other than her Spirit of Racine triathlon, her only "training" was riding her bike around the mall parking lot at the hotel the night before the race. She said to go any further today would just make tomorrow sore. So she turned back but still got in about 19 miles today - a good ride. I continued on to Pipestone and back which gave me about 37 miles and it felt really great to just get out on the bike and go for a while. My landshark brothers would love this route, it's nice new tar highway and flat, flat, flat!! The kind of flat where you could just lay out in the aero bars and just go - fun.
As long as I was in Pipestone, I took the opportunity to stop at Jamie and Sandra's house (some great high school friends) and was happy to see that Sandra was home. I didn't get to see Jamie - he was at work today, but Sandra had the day off so I got to visit with her a while before heading home which was really great. I think the best part of this trip will be the fact that I can finally do things like that. Just take time to stop and see people and not be in such a hurry all the time. It's been a long time since we could just sit and talk for a while. I probably kept Sandra from getting things done this afternoon, but as usual, she's way too kind to tell me that I was imposing and we had a great time.
The ride back home was really great. The wind shifted to the North West which put it directly behind me for a good portion of the ride and it was a nice fast ride back to Edgerton.
Once home, Bambi and I got a chance to hang out with our nephews Ashton, Derek, and Kade as well as our niece Avery. We put the two little ones in strollers which Bambi and Ashton pushed and I got to just walk along and watch Derek "drift" on his bike - which is skidding the rear tire and leaving black marks on the street. It was great.
All in all, it was just the kind of day we were hoping to get while we are home. Wake up whenever, eat, ride bike, eat, play with the kids, eat, visit, eat... you get the idea. I'll need to keep up the miles on the bike or it's going to get REALLY tough for Keith and Eric to get me into that wetsuit! It's bad enough already that they argue who has to do it... I think one day they'll probably have to resort to rock, paper, scissor.
The only thing that would have made my day better is if I could have had my Landshark brethren here to ride along with us but there will still be lots of that in the future yet too.
I've had a few people post comments asking us for our email address so here it is:
rossandbambi@yahoo.com
I'm hoping tomorrow is another day just like today. Then Friday morning we get to take off for Sturgis. I'm really looking forward to that too. Like I said, so far... it aint so bad!!

2 comments:

The Owens said...

We are so happy to hear that this is exactly what you were looking forward to! Keep enjoying yourselves and each other! Can't wait to hit the old Red Robin when you get back so we can hear all the stories:) Have fun!

The Godfather said...

Don't let the name fool you. I am more like the prodigal son. I hope soon to return to the bretheren known as Landshark.
Sounds like so far, so good for you guys. We miss you already!
Drive safe and watch for deer...or speedgoats if your going through South Dakota.
...by the way, Ross, my AC is ICE COLD!